Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe makes a delicious and easy-to-create dessert that is much healthier than many chocolate recipes you’ll find. Full of fiber and protein, this raw chia seed pudding is sure to be a delight you and your family or your guests will love. Enjoy.
How to Make This Plant-Based Recipe
Chocolate Orange Chia Seed Pudding
Total Time: 2 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 109 calories
Fat 4 g
Carbs 17 g
Protein 3 g
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup/2 oz. black chia seed
- 1/2 tsp organic orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp raw cacao
- 3 oz. of dates (~5)-pitted and soaked in hot water if hard, then drained
- Topping ideas: a banana (squeeze a little fresh orange or lemon juice on them to prevent browning) and crushed peanuts. For added color and nutrition, add in some pomegranate seeds
- Place all ingredients into blender, like a Vitamix, except topping ingredients
- Assemble puddings as desired.
- Alternative: make Cinnamon Chia Pudding and layer it with Chocolate Orange Pudding for an added yum factor! Make the Cinnamon first, so you don’t even need to rinse out your Vitamix!
If you wish to layer this Chocolate Orange Chia Seed Pudding, here’s the recipe for the Apple Cinnamon Chia Seed Pudding.
• Nothing refined, made with whole food sweetener-dates: Dates are a great source of potassium, fiber, and a source of magnesium, making them great for heart health. The added fiber helps to lessen blood sugar spikes and moderate blood sugar.
• Great source of fiber-8.5 g, important for blood sugar regulation, satiety, reducing blood pressure, and boosting digestive health.
• High in plant-based calcium, 27% DV: shown to be better absorbed by the body than an animal source, it’s important for bone and dental health.
• Good source of plant-based iron, 10% DV, important for oxygenation of blood.
• Good source of plant-based protein-4.3 g; important for tissue repair.
• Grain and gluten free; good for those with allergen sensitivity and helps cut inflammation in the body.