Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie.
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe for waffles made from oats would make a great weekend breakfast treat. This healthy dish is gluten-free and high in fiber. If you want, you can leave out the sweeteners.
Gluten-Free Oat Waffles with Fresh Orange
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving 184 calories
Fat 3 g
Carbs 33 g
Protein 7 g
- 455 g of oats (equals 3 1/2 cups of oats or 3 cups of regular flour)
- 3 cups almond milk (or more if batter gets too thick)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or date paste
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp kosher/sea salt
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk *can omit if you don’t have this, the recipe will still work
- juice & zest of 1 orange (about 1 tbsp zest & 3-4 tbsp fresh orange juice)
- If making your own flour, place the oats into a blender first. Process until it makes a flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order provided, and blend.
- Let batter rest for about 5-10 minutes before using.
- Heat a waffle iron up, and use about a half of a cup of batter per waffle (depending on size of your waffle maker). If you are finding the batter gets too thick as it sits (it will thicken), you can thin it out with additional almond milk (be sure to stir after or re-blend). I find that my gluten free waffles need a little more time in the waffle maker than the machine tells me it does. I lift and check when the light goes off, and if it doesn’t look done, let it go for a couple more minutes.
- Serve topped with your favorite jam (pictured here is our strawberry lemon jam), fresh fruit, and/or maple syrup.
• High in fiber: great for digestive health, regulation of blood sugar, decreasing cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, and increasing satiety
• Whole grain, gluten free, & plant-based-decreases inflammation in the body
• No refined sugars, very low in added sugar
• Cholesterol free, oil free, no saturated fats, great for heart health
What do you think of this plant-based recipe?