Recipe from Plant-Based Katie Mae
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe is unique and quick to create. Make this for your friends and family this Thanksgiving, and surely, they won’t have ever tasted anything quite like it. Enjoy.
Sweet & Sour Pumpkin
Total Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Per Serving 227 calories
Fat 2 g
Carbs 55 g
Protein 6 g
- 1½ cups water
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and diced in ½-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- ¼ cup fresh mint, diced
- In a small blender, blend the water and dates until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add fenugreek, cumin and mustard seeds and toast for 1 minute.
- Then stir in the pumpkin, date water, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, lemon juice and brown rice vinegar. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender. Stir occasionally for even cooking and to prevent burning. If the dish looks like it’s getting to dry, add a little more water and turn the heat to low-medium.
- Once the pumpkin is fully cooked, add the pineapple and mint, and mix well. Turn off the heat and serve.
Need a healthy dessert? You might also like these cookies from Katie Mae, which are made without added sugar.
Tell us in the comments what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know.