By Maria Marlowe • Originally published on MariaMarlowe.com
There is a special something about this salad that makes everyone, even those who have an aversion to healthy food go back for seconds. The “special sauce” is less of a sauce and more of a technique of massaging the kale with your hands. It is the crucial step in making this salad irresistible, so no improvising, it just won’t cut it. It also stores well in the refrigerator, so it’s an excellent dish to make the night before and bring to work for lunch the next day.
How to make this plant-based recipe
Number of servings: 1
Per Serving 471 calories
Fat 32 g
Carbs 48 g
Protein 14 g
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ lime
- salt, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp or mixture of all 3)
- Put kale in a large bowl.
- Top with red onion, avocado, cilantro, and salt. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the bowl as well.
- Use your hands to “massage” and squeeze the avocado into the kale for 1-2 minutes. (Your hands will get messy, but it won’t taste the same if you just mix it with utensils). See the video below for a demonstration. The kale will shrink is size and appear darker. This is how you know it’s ready.
- Wash your hands. Top the salad with seeds and red pepper flakes, then toss.
- Serve & enjoy!
Tell us in the comments what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know!
Love this recipe? Check out all our healthy, plant-based recipes.