Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie
Editor’s note: This could be a great plant-based, healthy dessert for Father’s Day or other spring or summer events.
Raw Strawberry Kiwi Tart
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving 286 calories
Fat 25 g
Carbs 15 g
Protein 6 g
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw sugar (or omit the oil and use maple sugar, date paste, or honey to bind the crust)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp lemon zest (use an organic lemon if possible)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (zest first!)
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Choice of strawberries, kiwi, mango, raspberries, blueberries-you name it! (I used 3 1/2 kiwis and a bunch of strawberries)-pick seasonal fruits
“Cream” Cheese Layer:
- For crust: Place all ingredients for crust into food processor. Pulse until it comes together. Press into a tart pan with removable bottom or a springform pan
- For filling: Place all ingredients except water into a blender, like a Vitamix. With blender on low, blend, gradually add water until a thick, cream cheese-like spread forms and cashews have become creamy
- Spread filling onto raw crust. If less cashew cream is desired (it’s rich), use less and save the filling to make these stuffed balsamic dates.
- Slice fruit into thin pieces and create a concentric ring around the pan.
- Refrigerate several hours before serving (if desiring a frozen dessert, cover and freeze for a few hours-this will dull the colors of the fruit). Remove from tart pan and serve.
• While high in fat, the fat in this dessert comes from whole foods and is very low in saturated fat, and contains no cholesterol. If less cashew cream is used for the base, this would help to decrease overall fat. In addition, if coconut oil was omitted, there would be 17.5 g less fat total.
• Gluten free and plant based: decreases inflammation in the body
• Low in sugar
What do you think about this plant-based recipe?