Recipe by Plant-Based Katie Mae
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe for an easy, healthy, and tasty salad is a great one to have on hand. If you think kale is to too tough for a salad, you haven’t tried massaging it — it makes all the difference. Enjoy.
Massaged Kale Salad
Total Time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Per Serving 97 calories
Fat 6 g
Carbs 11 g
Protein 3 g
- 1 bunch dino kale*
- ½–1 avocado, pitted*
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- black pepper to taste
- Remove the stem from the kale. Rough chop into large bite-size pieces and add kale to a medium-size bowl.
- Use a paring knife to make slices in the avocado half and scoop the pieces into the bowl. Add the lemon juice.
- Massage the kale with your hands until kale is your preferred tenderness, combining the avocado and lemon into a creamy dressing. You can do this for as little as a minute or as long as 5-6 minutes.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and mix them into the kale. Add black pepper to taste. Serve promptly.
• Dino kale is the best kale to be massaged. The longer it is massaged for the more tender it is and the easier it is to digest. That being said, other types of kale can be used if that’s what is available to you.
• If you don’t want to use avocado, you could substitute ½–¾ cup of Cannellini or Great Northern beans instead.
Tell us what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know!