Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie
Editor’s Note: This plant-based recipe uses fall vegetables to create a healthy, creamy, and hearty soup. Soups are so lovely this time of year, and you can make enough for meals later in the week. Enjoy.
Late Fall Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Per Serving 291 calories
Fat 1 g
Carbs 54 g
Protein 19 g
- Mirepoix: 1 cup each: carrots, celery, onion-small dice (no need to peel carrots)
- 1 cup red or green pepper, small dice
- 2 cups eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1½ tsp dried thyme (or 1½ tbsp fresh)
- 2 tsp dried rosemary (or 2 tbsp fresh, minced)
- 1 branch or 10 curry leaves (if you can't find these, add 2 small bay leaves or 1 large)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, or 1 pt. canned
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups cannellini beans or 1 can, rinsed and drained
- If desired, heat pot, and add mirepoix along with 1-2 tbsp water to prevent sticking. Sauté until onions have softened and begun to turn golden. This step can be omitted.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beans. If you like more texture, add corn and beans after pureeing.
- Cook until lentils have softened and become creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree some of the soup.
- Add in cannellini beans and serve! To boost nutritional value, add in dark leafy greens like kale right before serving.
• High in fiber-great for regulating blood sugar, digestive health, reducing blood pressure, and increasing satiety
• High in plant-based protein, good for healing/repairing tissues
• High in antioxidants-great for fighting disease!
• Gluten free, vegan-great for reducing inflammation in the body
• No added sugars, refined ingredients
Tell us what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know!