Recipe from Garden Fresh Foodie
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe for pesto is oil-free and high in plant-based protein. The great thing about pesto is that you can enjoy it so many ways: on zucchini noodles, in mushrooms, on sandwiches, or however you want.
Oil-Free Lemon Basil Pesto
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Per Serving 224 calories
Fat 8 g
Carbs 33 g
Protein 9 g
- 3 cups packed basil
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 4 cloves of garlic (or 1 heaping tbsp)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt/pepper to taste
- water to thin (about 4 tbsp)
- Place pine nuts into a pan on medium heat. Lightly toast them, watching carefully that they don’t burn (this happens quickly). No added oil is needed in the pan, since pine nuts have a high amount of natural oil.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend.
- Use right away or freeze in ice cube trays. To do this, place tablespoons into a tray. Freeze, and then remove from trays. Store in a freezer bag for later use.
- Pesto is great on raw or slightly sautéed zucchini noodles, on pizza, traditional pastas, in stuffed peppers, or anything your heart imagines!
• No added oils, cholesterol and saturated fat free, great for heart health
• Vegan and gluten free-decreases inflammation in the body
• High in plant-based protein; great for healing and repairing tissues
• Great source of antioxidants
Tell us what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know your thoughts.
If you love pesto recipes, you might also like this healthy, nut-free pesto.