Recipe from Plant-Based Katie Mae
Editor’s note: This plant-based recipe for pasta is nutritious and delicious. Creamy pasta dishes are comforting, but not usually very good for you. This pasta is made without dairy, yet is still creamy. Enjoy.
Creamy Tomato-Pepper Pasta
Total Time: 25 minutes
Number of servings: 5
Per Serving 396 calories
Fat 7 g
Carbs 78 g
Protein 9 g
- 1 medium red bell pepper, deseeded
- 1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes, no salt added
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, no salt added
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1½ teaspoons onion granules
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 16-ounce gluten-free spaghetti or other pasta
- 1 large lime, zested and juiced
- 1 bunch collards, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine red pepper, fire-roasted tomatoes, water, almond butter, garlic, onion and red pepper flakes. Blend until you have a creamy-sauce consistency. Set aside.
- Put a pot of water on the stove over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. When the pasta is al dente (just slightly undercooked), remove from heat and strain the water. Add pasta back to the pot without any heat.
- In another pot on the stove, add 1-2 inches of water and a steam basket. Cover and bring the water to a boil. Add the collard greens and steam for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and bright green.
- Add the pepper-tomato sauce to the pasta and heat over low-medium heat. Stir occasionally until the pasta and sauce are fully heated. Gently stir in lime zest and juice.
- To serve, use tongs to lay collards across the plate and then top with pasta. Other serving options are to serve the collards on top of the pasta, or mix the collards into the pasta. Garnish with almonds and black pepper.
Please share with us what you think of this plant-based recipe, especially if you make it, because we’d love to know.